Show your support for your community library and become a Friend of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library today! Join today and get involved in one of the Friends special projects, or simply show your support by becoming a dues paying member. Established in 1980, the Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library have supported the library with fundraising activities, participation in community activities and library programs and advocacy for quality library service. Membership is open to anyone interested in books, libraries and supporting the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library and its many activities. Your donation helps the library maintain its high level of service to area residents. As a member of the Friends, you will receive newsletters by mail which detail Friends' news, library announcements and library news.
How to Join the Friends
To join the Friends of the Library download the Friend's Membership Brochure (PDF, 168KB, 2 pages) and fill out the membership information. You can pay by credit card through PayPal or make a check payable to the Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library. Drop it off at the Library or mail it to Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library, 16 N. Walnut St., Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. A PayPal account is not required to pay by credit card.
Winners of a 2020 Friends Membership
At the October Book Sale, all shoppers were invited to enter a drawing for a free 2020 Friends of the Library membership. Congratulations to the winners!
- Roy and Mary Lou M.
- Shannon O.
- Linda M.
How the Friends Help the Library
Proceeds from fundraising activities are contributed to the library for ongoing expenses, capital support, and special projects. A few examples of what the Friends' financial support has enabled the library to provide are as follows: programming children's activities, computer equipment and furniture, books, books on CD, DVDs, continuing education opportunities for library staff, public relations activities and materials, shelving for picture books in the Children's Library and Joseph T. Simpson Public Library merchandise. In addition, the Friends make an annual contribution to the library for general operating expenses and donated $50,000 in 2003 to the library's "Enriching Minds, Expanding Opportunities" capital campaign.
Mission and Vision of the Friends
Mission (adopted March 4, 2019)
The Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library will enhance the resources and services of the library through fundraising, advocacy, education, and community outreach.
Friends of the Library Board of Directors
The Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library are a 501(c)3 organization with a Board of Directors separate from the Library Board of Trustees. The Friends' Board meets the first Monday of the month at 7:00 pm in the library's Tutoring Rooms. They do not meet in July or December. Due to the Labor Day holiday, they meet on the second Monday in September.
2019 Friends Board of Directors
Joanna McIntyre - President
Sheena Patel - Vice President
Trisha Reed- Secretary
Danielle Cappello - Treasurer
Directors: Jennifer Bryant, Lisa Christopher, Carol Decker, Michael Foote, Emily Griffith, Phyllis Harmon, Dr. Michael Kinney, Jessica Knapp
2019 Board Meetings
Meetings are the second Monday of the month at 7:00 pm at the Library. There is no July or December meeting. All meetings are open to the public and held in the library's tutoring room on the Upper Level.
Friends of the Library Committees
- Book Sale Committee - Sorts books year-round in preparations for the Jubilee Day® book sale and other book sales. Assists on the sale day with collecting money, restocking tables, bagging books, and transporting purchases to customer's cars.
- Fund Raising Committee - Plans community activities to raise money to support library services.
- Membership Committee - Plans promotional events and activities to increase membership in the Friends. Maintains computer database of membership information.
- Online Auction Committee - Solicits and organizes items, including photography, data entry, and correspondence for Online Auction.
- Public Relations Committee - Promotes and advertises Friends' fundraising activities and events. Produces periodic newsletters and organizes historical files, clippings and photographs of Friends' activities.
- Special Events Committee - Coordinates special events and activities sponsored by the Friends.
Read the Friends of the Library Strategic Plan 2019-2020 (PDF, 173KB, 9 pages)