Show your support for your community library and become a Friend of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library today! Join today and get involved in one of the Friends special projects, or simply show your support by becoming a dues paying member. Established in 1980, the Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library have supported the library with fundraising activities, participation in community activities and library programs and advocacy for quality library service. Membership is open to anyone interested in books, libraries and supporting the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library and its many activities. Your donation helps the library maintain its high level of service to area residents.
How to Join the Friends
Members of the Friends of the Library value the library and take action! Through their support, the library is able to continue its tradition of excellence opportunity, and discovery for our entire community. As a thank you to our members, each Book Sale has a Members Only Preview Night the Friday before the public Book Sale.
To join the Friends of the Library or renew your membership download the Friend's Membership Brochure (PDF, 387 KB, 2 pages) and fill out the membership information. You can pay by credit card through PayPal or make a check payable to the Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library. Drop it off at the Library or mail it to Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library, 16 N. Walnut St., Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. A PayPal account is not required to pay by credit card.
How the Friends Help the Library
Proceeds from fundraising activities are contributed to the library for ongoing expenses, capital support, and special projects. A few examples of what the Friends' financial support has enabled the library to provide are as follows: children's programs, computer equipment and furniture, books, books on CD, DVDs, continuing education opportunities for library staff, public relations activities and materials, shelving for picture books in the Children's Library, and Joseph T. Simpson Public Library merchandise. In addition, the Friends make an annual contribution to the library for general operating expenses.
Mission and Vision of the Friends
Mission (adopted March 4, 2019)
The Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library will enhance the resources and services of the library through fundraising, advocacy, education, and community outreach.
Friends of the Library Board of Directors
The Friends of the Joseph T. Simpson Public Library are a 501(c)3 organization with a Board of Directors separate from the Library Board of Trustees. The Friends' Board meets the second Monday of the month at 7:00 pm. They do not meet in July or December. At the present time, the board meets via Zoom.
2022 Friends Board of Directors
Danielle Cappello - President
Jennifer Bryant - Vice President
Emily Griffith - Secretary
Emily Roman - Treasurer
Directors: Lisa Christopher, Carol Decker, Michael Foote, Phyllis Harmon, Erica Hartman Stewart, Cindy Schmidt, Kelsey Sullivan, and Jen Ward.
Friends of the Library Committees
- Book Sale Committee - Sorts books year-round in preparations for the book sales. Assists on the sale day with collecting money, restocking tables, bagging books, and transporting purchases to customer's cars.
- Fund Raising Committee - Plans community activities to raise money to support library services.
- Membership Committee - Plans promotional events and activities to increase membership in the Friends. Maintains computer database of membership information.
- Online Auction Committee - Solicits and organizes items, including photography, data entry, and correspondence for Online Auction.
- Public Relations Committee - Promotes and advertises Friends' fundraising activities and events. Produces periodic newsletters and organizes historical files, clippings and photographs of Friends' activities.
- Special Events Committee - Coordinates special events and activities sponsored by the Friends.
Read the Friends of the Library Strategic Plan 2021-2023 (PDF, 593KB, 8 pages)