About the Coy Public Library

Housed in the historic George Stewart house, the Jeffrey W. & Jo Anne R. Coy Public Library of Shippensburg provides a variety of free library services and materials to area residents.  The first floor of the library has adult fiction and nonfiction collections, DVDs, audio books and periodicals. In July of 2017, the new children's wing opened, with a beautiful new space dedicated to children; with books, toys and spaces for families to share the love of reading. Our new Community Room shares the space and is a popular meeting room for community groups. The second floor is now dedicated to our teen and reference collections.

Modern technology blends with the old at the library. Although the building dates to 1880, it has Wi-Fi throughout and there are eight computers with high-speed Internet access and two configured for word processing.

Each week, the library offers special activities for children, teens, and adults. Children's storytimes are popular, and area teens host a variety of programs for their peers each month. Throughout the year, the Friends of the Library sponsor special events for adults and families.

We invite you to come and see us at the Coy Public Library.

History of the Coy Public Library of Shippensburg

Stewart House, Shippensburg Library

The Coy Public Library of Shippensburg is located at 73 West King Street in the historic George Stewart house. Mr. George Stewart, Sr. was a local banker, grain merchant and railroad owner.The construction on the house was completed in 1880 and was built in the Victorian/Second Empire style. The house is located on the site of the former Black Horse Tavern where George Washington stopped during the Whiskey Rebellion. One of the people instrumental in the founding of the Coy Public Library was Mr. Arthur Burkhart, Sr. He got the Lions Club and Mr. Henry Luhrs interested in the public library as a club project.

On November 1933, there was a meeting attended by 38 people who signed the first constitution and the Shippensburg Library officially began.These two men continued to play an important role in the library and were instrumental in securing the present location for use as a library. In 1936 George Stewart, Jr. and his wife Dorothy had an architect, Bernard Starr, design and remodel the house in the Georgian Revival style.The house was then purchased from Mrs. Stewart and remodeled for use as the Shippensburg Public Library in 1957 (now titled Jeffrey W. & Jo Anne R. Coy Public Library of Shippensburg). We opened our doors for business December 9, 1957. By 1968 the library had outgrown its existing space so an addition became necessary. The most recent addition for a new children's building was completed in July 2017.


Page Updated

September 13, 2019