New Cumberland Public Library and the New Cumberland Collective are excited to announce a 2023 collaboration, Art in the Stacks!
The New Cumberland Public Library features an art gallery and locked display showcase. The Library offers local artists and craftspeople the opportunity to display their art free-of-charge for public viewing. Exhibits are scheduled monthly on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are currently being accepted to book exhibits for the calendar year 2023. To apply to exhibit, please fill out the following application and return it to the Library by mail, email (email@example.com), or in person at the circulation desk. Alternately, you can submit this Google Form. A member of the Library staff will be in touch about your application within two weeks of submission.
The Charley Krone Gallery is located in the Mansion area of the library on the second floor. Named for a local artist who was a lifelong resident of New Cumberland, this gallery generally features the work of local artists. There is no charge to exhibit, and all sales are directed to the artist. The gallery space can hold as few as 12 or as many as 45 paintings, depending on size. Pieces should be wired: exhibition is by adjustable gallery rods hung by picture rail.
The main floor showcase is located in the Anderson Reading room and is a six-foot high lighted glass case which is locked. Three-dimensional arts & crafts, such as pottery, woodworking, and fiber arts are appropriate for display in this case. A wide variety of items have been shown in this case, from World War II uniforms to doll house miniatures. The case has adjustable glass shelves for display.
Artists who display at the New Cumberland Public Library must agree to the Library's Exhibition Policy:
- The Krone Gallery and Display Case are offered free of charge for the exhibit of arts & crafts or historical displays by local artists, crafters, and nonprofit organizations.
- Art exhibited must be appropriate for viewing by the general public, including children. Pieces with graphic nudity or violence are not permitted. The Library reserves the right to ask the artist to remove pieces from display.
- Gallery and display case space is booked monthly, in a first-come, first-serve manner. If we are unable to accommodate a request, the artist will be added to a wait list for the first available opening.
- Artists are welcome to host exhibit openings/receptions in the 2nd floor meeting room by reserving the 2nd floor meeting space with the Library.
- The artist gives permission to use images of displayed artwork for marketing purposes (website, press releases, social media platforms, etc.)
- The artist understands that the Library will not facilitate the sale of pieces, but will refer interested buyers to contact the artist directly. The artist may provide prices and information for the direct sale of art. A donation to the Library of a small percentage of sales from exhibition or the donation of a piece of art for the Silent Auction is greatly appreciated
Contact the library at 717-774-7820 with any additional questions about the use of the Krone Gallery or Display Showcase.