|The Cumberland County Library System is a great place to work. The system and its local libraries employ over 160 people. About 20 of these positions are professional librarians and the rest are library assistants, clerks or custodial support. Most positions are part-time. Each library is an independent, non-profit institution and staff are employees of the local library. The library system's administrative office staff are employed by Cumberland County government.|
Work With Us
- Install, configure and maintain computer hardware, software and network equipment for the library system headquarters and member libraries. Installs and maintains library system servers.
- Maintains Internet services for library system headquarters and its member libraries.
- Maintains equipment and license inventory for the library system’s wide area network that includes purchase, repair and replacement records.
- Provides library staff with basic instruction and information on use of personal computers, hardware, software, and networking and computer security.
- Evaluates and recommends hardware, software and network technologies for possible purchases.
- May be asked to serve on-call for evening and weekend network-related problems.
- Provides back-up support to network administrator for local and wide area networks.
- Attends meetings, trainings, seminars as required.
- Performs other job related duties as required or assigned.
The Bosler Memorial Library in Carlisle, PA, seeks a Youth Services Assistant. The Youth Services Assistant works with the Youth Services Coordinator to plan and implement library services to youth, including programs for children from birth through teens and their families and caregivers through live, pre-recorded, and virtual formats. These services include in-house events and services as well as outreach services and programs.
This is a part-time, 30 hours per week position to include day, evening and weekend hours. The starting salary for this position is $10.75 per hour. This position is non-exempt status. This position is eligible for some benefits. Pennsylvania law requires that criminal history records checks be conducted on all prospective employees, including those 17 years of age or younger.
Education/Training: Associate’s Degree in early childhood education or related field OR at least 3 years active experience in an education or early childhood environment.
Experience: Familiarity with computers, common operating systems, software for virtual video and audio recording and production, and online applications.
Required: State driver's license or state photo identification, excellent customer service and communication skills, ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, to place materials on high and low shelves. A criminal background check, child abuse clearance and FBI fingerprinting are required for this position.
Communications: Writes and speaks clearly, logically and concisely. Listens effectively. Demonstrates small and large group communication skills. Keeps colleagues, team members and supervisors well informed. Participates in group discussions.
Customer Service: Presents welcoming behaviors. Remains helpful and professional with customers. Responds quickly and cooperatively to requests from staff or public. Follows Bosler Memorial Library guidelines and training for customer service approach. Demonstrates ability to determine customer needs. Follows up on customer transactions.
Analytical Skills/Problem Solving/Decision Making: Uses sound judgment in making decisions. Constructively manages conflict. Works with others to solve problems and achieve results.
Technological Skills: Demonstrates ability to use computers. Demonstrates ability to access and use the Internet and electronic databases. Demonstrates ability to use and maintain equipment basic to job.
Workplace Maintenance/Management: Maintains and manages workplace security and safety. Pays attention to personal workspace housekeeping.
Flexibility and Adaptability: Remains calm in difficult, ambiguous, and challenging situations. Responds appropriately to changes in direction and priorities. Adapts personal style to work situations. Takes corrective action when required.
Interpersonal and Group Relationships: Willing to work with and for others. Supports and facilitates cooperation among others.
Professional Standards and Ethics: Protects and values patron confidentiality and organizational security. Supports mission and vision of the library. Upholds ALA's Library Code of Ethics as interpreted by Bosler Memorial Library. Works toward furthering a library-conscious community.
Professional Development and Leadership: Seeks opportunities to pursue one's personal goals and those of the organization. Sets and models high performance standards. Encourages others to make good decisions and take ownership in decision-making and problem-solving.
Time and Workflow Management: Manages personal time effectively. Manages workflow effectively.
Primarily works indoors. May travel among library and community venues. Provides own transportation and is reimbursed accordingly.
- Develops, implements and evaluates a wide variety of programs for children of all ages including storytimes, STEM and STEAM programming, financial literacy programming, history programming, health and wellness programming, SummerQuest programming, and special programming for children and their caregivers using outside resources that incorporate best practices in learning and development.
- Provide tours and visits for children and their caregivers.
- Works in conjunction with the Community Relations Department to design and implement outreach collections, programs, and services.
- Demonstrates and practices effective interpersonal relations with children, their caregivers, and other professionals who work with children to maintain an educational, fun, and safe environment.
- Helps establish and maintain a high standard of customer service for all users of the library by providing assistance in locating appropriate materials; instruction in the use of automated catalogs, website, and self-checkout; and by providing appropriate referrals to other staff or community specialists when necessary.
- Assists in collection management of the Youth Services collection including selection of materials, ordering, evaluation, and weeding.
- Demonstrates awareness of upcoming library programs and events. May assist in the promotion and publicizing of the services, programs, and resources of the Youth Services Department, including creating displays.
- Demonstrates ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work routines, both on their own projects, and in coordination with other staff from both Youth Services and other departments.
- Cooperates as a team member with other library staff in performing essential library duties and participates in special projects as needed or requested by the Youth Services Coordinator, including shelving and routine collection maintenance activities.
- Assists in maintaining the physical appearance of the facility and order of collections through cleaning and sanitizing, general straightening, shelving, shelf-reading, and organizing toys and manipulative, as well as upkeep of displays.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Bosler Memorial Library
Attn: Diana Robertson, Business Manager
158 W. High Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
Submission deadline is Friday, March 12, 2021.
The Bosler Memorial Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Use your expertise with technology, reading recommendations, and research questions to assist our community! Apply to be a Reference Librarian at Simpson Public Library and work with a staff dedicated to excellent library service.
The Joseph T. Simpson Public Library in Mechanicsburg, PA is seeking an individual to provide effective and quality reference and reader's advisory services in person, over email, and by telephone. The successful candidate will also serve as the person-in-charge during evening and weekend shifts, and assist with circulation duties as needed. Please see the complete Reference Librarian Job Description (PDF, 114KB, 2 pages) for additional qualifications and duties.
Part-time. $12.00 per hour
Wednesdays 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursdays 1:00 - 9:00 pm
4th Saturday each month 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
4th Sunday each month 12:00 - 5:00 pm
Master’s degree in Library Science required. We will consider candidates currently enrolled in their final semester of a MLS/MLIS program.
Public library experience preferred.
Must have FBI criminal history, Pennsylvania Child Abuse, and Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History clearances that qualify the individual for employment as outlined in the library system’s Employee Clearances policy.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to Arn Howald, Assistant Director at email@example.com.
Or mail to:
Arn Howald, Assistant Director
Joseph T. Simpson Public Library
16 N Walnut St
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055