Cumberland County residents can now access a wide range of foreign films, documentaries, and classics through the popular on-demand film streaming service Kanopy. Films can be streamed from any computer, television, mobile device, or platform by downloading the Kanopy app for iOS, Android, AppleTV, Chromecast, or Roku. Loan periods allow patrons three days of unlimited viewing per film and simultaneous use. Videos are also accessible with captions, transcripts, and compatibile with assistive technologies.
Getting Started With Kanopy
What you need
- A valid Library Card - The Kanopy service is open only to current residents of Cumberland County.
- A computer, smartphone or tablet with an Internet connection (List of supported browsers)
- An account at Kanopy
- The Kanopy app for iOS or Android (for watching movies on your phone or tablet)
Create a Kanopy account
In order to access Kanopy you will be required to create a Kanopy account and you are confirming that you are 13 years of age or older. Parents can set up an account for their children and turn on parental controls.
To create an account:
- Go to Kanopy and select Sign up. Enter your first and last name, email address and a password of your choice. Click on Sign up.
- Check for an email from Kanopy and click the link to confirm your account. This will return you to Kanopy's website.
- Enter your library card number and PIN and click Save.
Watch movies on a computer
- Access Kanopy from a computer by clicking on Log in and then entering the email address and password you used to create your account.
- Browse by category or subject or search for the movies you want to watch.
Watch movies on a phone or tablet using the Kanopy app
- Once the app is downloaded, click on Log in.
- Enter the email address and password you used to create your account.
- Select Go beside your home library name (ex: Amelia Givin Library)
- Browse by category or subject or search for movies you want to watch.
Kanopy is available on these devices and platforms:
A wireless connection is required to stream movies on a phone or tablet. Under Settings in the app, make sure that Cellular Data is turned off; using cellular data is not recommended as it can use up your data very quickly. If you are streaming with cellular data, make sure the Video Quality is set to Basic which will use less data. Wireless internet access is available at all Cumberland County Libraries.