Are You or a Loved One Homebound?
Are you or a loved one unable to visit the library regularly due to age, illness or a disability?
If this applies to you, and you live in Cumberland County or the Shippensburg Area School District, you may be interested in our STAR homebound services.
What Is STAR?
STAR stands for Service to Adult Readers. STAR service provides homebound adults with free, personalized selection and delivery of books, large print books, audio books, music CDs, and DVDs.
How Does STAR Work?
About once a month, a trained library volunteer will bring library books or audiobooks to your home, apartment, or nursing home room. You will be able to use them for up to 6 weeks. (DVDs are available for 3 weeks.) Your volunteer will then pick-up and return the materials to the library for you.
How Much Does This Cost?
Nothing. There is no charge for STAR service.
What is Available?
- Large Print Books -- Adventure, biographies, nonfiction, bestsellers, mysteries, romances , etc — over 5,000 selections.
- Audio Books -- Abridged or word-for-word readings on CD —over 2,000 selections.
Would you like to Volunteer?
Would you like to help select and deliver library materials to older adults in the STAR Program? Contact the library today!
STAR in the News
Fulfilling Needs and Finding Fulfillment at the Library, West Shore Connect Senior Edition 2018
Have Books, Will Travel, 50 Plus Life April 2019
- 1996 Excellence Award presented by the Pennsylvania Leadership Council of the AARP in recognition of the STAR program which provides outstanding Library Service for Older Adults
- William Van Essen Award for the STAR outreach Program for dedicated and distinguished service on behalf of the visual welfare of the public presented by the Central Pennsylvania Optometric Society on May 19, 2002
- 2006 Best Practices Award from the Pennslyvania Library Association for the STAR Homebound Program in the Quality of Life category
- 2008 Act of Caring Award presented by the National Association of Counties as a community-based initiative that enhances the quality of lif for its residents