Join the Simpson Library Team as we work together to provide excellent library service to our community! Duties include: Working at library circulation desks checking items in and out, collecting payments, placing holds, and issuing library cards. Also shelves library materials and deals with the public in a courteous, friendly, and informative manner both in person and on the telephone; and exercises judgment in interpreting library policies and procedures to the public.
Hours: Part-time, weekend position. Schedule subject to change as deemed necessary to meet library operating requirements.
First Sunday of the month: 1:00 – 5:00 pm
Third Saturday of the month: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Third Sunday of the month: 1:00 – 5:00 pm
Fourth Saturday of the month: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Fourth Sunday of the month: 1:00 – 5:00 pm
Fifth Saturday of the month: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Fifth Sunday of the month: 1:00 – 5:00 pm
$10.00 per hour
Education: High school diploma or GED required unless currently in high school. Must be at least 16 years old to work evening hours in accordance with child labor laws.
How to Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to Arn Howald, Assistant Director, Joseph T. Simpson Public Library 16 N. Walnut St., Mechanicsburg, PA 17055 or email resume and cover letter to Arn at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out job application.
Library Aide Job Description (PDF, 58KB, 2 Pages)
Simpson Library Job Application (PDF, 113KB, 4 pages)
Essential Duties and Functions
1. Provide basic circulation services including checking in, checking out, renewing materials, computing, receiving and recording fines and fees for overdue, lost or damaged materials and placing holds. Search for material and patron information, register customers for library cards, and provide printed receipts.
2. Type and use computer equipment (i.e. keyboards, light pens, printers, etc.) and photocopiers.
3. Answer directional and basic reference questions; refer customers to reference department for in-depth assistance.
4. Answer the telephone and transfer calls to appropriate department.
5. Assist customers in locating materials.
6. Assist customers in using the photocopier and provide change for photocopier as needed.
7. Attend continuing education programs and staff meetings. Attendance is required at staff meetings. Morning and evening meeting are held to accommodate various work and school schedules.
8. Empty book and video drop boxes.
9. Fill requests for Friends merchandise and collect payments for merchandise, raffle tickets, book sales and ticketed events.
10. Maintain supply inventories and submit requests for purchase.
11. Explain basic library procedures and monitor the behavior and conduct of library customers.
12. Provide brief instruction on use of on-line catalog and Internet.
13. Register customers for programs both in person and over the phone.
14. Route materials belonging to other libraries to their proper destination.
15. Secure building at closing.
16. Shelve books and audiovisual materials in their proper location and complete shelf reading assignments.
17. Provide direction to and answer questions from volunteers about their volunteer tasks.
18. Receive payments for fines and fees and process transactions using a cash register and credit card machine.
Must have FBI criminal history, Pennsylvania Child Abuse and Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History clearance that qualify the individual for employments as outline in the library system’s Employee Clearances policy.