Join the Simpson Library Team as we work together to provide excellent service to our community!
Hours: Part-time; includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours (Saturdays and Sundays). Schedule subject to change as deemed necessary to meet library operating requirements.
Applicants must be at least 16 years old.
Year-round position – available immediately.
$9.00 per hour
Fill out employment application and email it to Arn Howald at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail or drop off application at Joseph T. Simpson Public Library, 16 N Walnut St, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
Library Aide Job Description (PDF, 30KB, 2 Pages)
Simpson Library Job Application (PDF, 113KB, 4 pages)
Summary of Responsibilities
Duties include: work at the circulation desk providing service to library customers; shelve books, magazines, newspapers, and media in alphabetical or numerical order; deal with the public in a courteous, friendly, and informative manner both in person and on the telephone; and exercise judgment in interpreting library policies and procedures to the public.
High school diploma or GED required unless currently in high school. Must be at least 16 years old to work evening hours in accordance with child labor laws.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Possess the visual acuity to use research tools in print and in computerized formats.
2. Communicate well with both children and adults.
3. Accomplish tasks accurately and to organize materials, time and establish priorities.
4. Deal with the public and staff in a courteous, friendly, and informative manner.
5. File chronologically and numerically, alphabetize and perform other clerical tasks.
6. Provide effective and quality library service in accordance with the library's customer service philosophy.
7. Understand and adhere to library policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Functions
1. Provide basic circulation services including checking in, checking out, renewing materials, computing, receiving and recording fines and fees for overdue, lost or damaged materials and placing holds. Search for material and patron information, register customers for library cards, and provide printed receipts.
2. Type and use computer equipment (i.e. keyboards, light pens, printers, etc.) and photocopiers.
3. Answer directional and basic reference questions; refer customers to reference department for in-depth assistance.
4. Answer the telephone and transfer calls to appropriate department.
5. Assist customers in locating materials.
6. Assist customers in using the photocopier and provide change for photocopier as needed.
7. Attend continuing education programs and staff meetings. Attendance is required at staff meetings. Morning and evening meeting are held to accommodate various work and school schedules.
8. Empty book and video drop boxes.
9. Fill requests for Friends merchandise and collect payments for merchandise, raffle tickets, book sales and ticketed events.
10. Maintain supply inventories and submit requests for purchase.
11. Explain basic library procedures and monitor the behavior and conduct of library customers.
12. Provide brief instruction on use of on-line catalog and Internet.
13. Register customers for programs both in person and over the phone.
14. Route materials belonging to other libraries to their proper destination.
15. Secure building at closing.
16. Shelve books and audiovisual materials in their proper location and complete shelf reading assignments.
17. Provide direction to and answer questions from volunteers about their volunteer tasks.
18. Receive payments for fines and fees and process transactions using a cash register and credit card machine.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
1. Physical requirements include ability to move around the facility, walk, sit, bend, climb, kneel, stoop, lift and carry. Must be able to stand for at least 4 hours at a time.
2. Must be physically capable of handling books, magazines, cassettes and other materials; placing materials on carts; pushing carts; shelving and retrieving materials on both high and low shelves; emptying book drop.
3. Use hand and finger motion with enough manual dexterity to use computers and handle library items.
4. Duties are performed in surroundings where undesirable physical conditions and hazards are minor and controllable.
Must have FBI criminal history, Pennsylvania Child Abuse and Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History clearance that qualify the individual for employments as outline in the library system’s Employee Clearances policy.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position.