Simpson Library is hiring a part-time custodian to keep our facility clean and welcoming. The custodian works primarily when the library is closed to the public performing a variety of cleaning and maintenance functions related to maintaining the appearance and functionality of the library. Hours are flexible, but custodian must work three hours per day, five days a week between 8:00 pm and 10:00 am. $10.00 per hour.
Education: Minimum requirement of high school diploma or GED.
Immediate Supervisor: Facilities Manager
How to Apply: To apply, submit completed employment application to Sue Erdman, Executive Director, Joseph T. Simpson Public Library 16 N. Walnut St., Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
Simpson Library Employment Application (PDF, 4 pages, 164KB)
Custodian Job Description (PDF, 2 pages, 65KB)
Essential Duties and Functions
1. Performs all cleaning duties for the building including daily cleaning of restrooms and replenishing of supplies, daily vacuuming and spot cleaning carpets, sweeping steps, washing windows and woodwork, dusting, mopping floors, collecting and disposing trash daily, bundling recycling materials, and keeping parking lot free of debris,
3. Responds to emergency building needs such as loss of heat or air conditioning, fire alarms, etc.
4. Notifies Facilities Manager of all needed repairs and supplies.
5. Immediately reports evidence of fire, illegal entry, theft, destruction of library property or other unusual activities to Executive Director.
6. Conducts building inspections with Facilities Manager as needed.
7. Assists in moving and arranging furniture, filing cabinets, book shelves, etc.
8. Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the supervisor’s discretion.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Familiarity with and knowledge of relevant maintenance equipment and maintenance operations.
2. Ability to prioritize daily task list.
3. Ability to read and interpret instructions related to equipment repair and maintenance.
4. Ability to make independent decisions based on good business practices and library philosophy.
5. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
6. Effective communication skills.
7. Detail oriented.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Work regularly demands heavy physical effort in the handling of materials, boxes, carts, or equipment. Regularly lifts and carries books and materials weighing as much as 80 pounds. Regularly bends and reaches to clean the top and bottom shelves, walls, lights and floors. Work requires standing for extended periods of time and the ability to safely climb ladders.
Must have FBI criminal history, Pennsylvania Child Abuse and Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History clearances that qualify the individual for employment as outlined in the library system’s Employee Clearances policy.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position.