With regret, we said good-bye to Fredricksen’s former director, Bonnie Goble, who has left her position after 13 years of leading the library with dedication and enthusiasm. READ MORE
Thank you and Good Luck to Former Director Bonnie Goble
With regret, we said good-bye to Fredricksen’s former director, Bonnie Goble, who has left her position after 13 years of leading the library with dedication and enthusiasm. Her professional competence and management skills were a key contributing factor in the numerous awards, improvements and programs in which Fredricksen has benefitted. Our library family, including our staff, volunteers and community partners thank her for her commitment and service and wish her the best. Bonnie has relocated to the State College area to be closer to her family and has accepted a position at a non-profit there. At this time the library’s board is initiating a search for the next library Director and Lori Loss, Assistant Director, has become the Interim Library Director.
Bonnie’s achievements during her tenure do not go unnoticed. She was instrumental in leading the library in many ways, including the development of innovative programming, fundraisers, partnerships, collection and building enhancements and more all while servicing over 82,000 individuals in six communities. Her foresight, forward thinking, encouragement and openness to ideas led Fredricksen to be recognized as Simply the Best Library in the Harrisburg area 9 times during her tenure. In addition, the library applied for, and received, several large stimulus grants, one of which was used to upgrade the HVAC system in the building in 2011. Our 2011/2012 Bee Local event won the John Cotton Dana National Award at the American Library Association in Anaheim, CA in 2012 under her direction. Personally, Bonnie was one of five nominees for Leadership Excellence at the 2013 Nonprofit Innovation Awards and was a YWCA Tribute to Women of Excellence award winner in March 2019.
Many of the programs in which we are able to offer the community are because of Bonnie. She developed professional partnerships with many businesses and foundations which allows us to bring original and engaging events and fundraisers to Fredricksen. These include the McCormick Family Foundation for Summer Concerts, Murray Family Foundation for Foreign Films, Mette Evans and Woodside for legal chats and the Daytime Academy through Harsco which supports life-long learning. Bonnie helped lead the Open Doors Campaign for the build-out of the new Lower Level Entrance, Business & Career Center and Hoyt Reading Plaza in 2019. Fundraisers under Bonnie’s direction consist of our popular Blueberry Sale, Bike Raffle with Holmes Cycling, the In Good Taste Kitchen Tour and Holiday Book Tree as well as previous fundraisers such as the Library Loop 5K and an Indoor Mini Golf event.
Additional highlights of Bonnie’s career at Fredricksen include –
• East Pennsboro Branch 25th Anniversary - October 2010
• Coffee Corner - 2012
• Kiner’s Korner East Pennsboro Branch - March 2013
• Hampden Township Drop Off/Delivery Service – 2014
• Lower Level Expanded Parking Lot - 2014
• Employment Fair - October 2015 & 2016
• Dr. Rachel Levine program - March 2016
• Volunteer Fairs - September 2016 & November 2018
• East Pennsboro Branch Grand Opening - Jan 2017
• 60th Anniversary Gala – March 2017 at the West Shore Country Club; raised over $110,000
• 60th Birthday Party/ Summer Reading Kickoff - June 2017
• Candy's Kitchen- Nov 2017 in memory of Children’s Librarian Candy Harm
• Open Doors Campaign – 2018/2019; raised over $600,000 for the construction of the lower level entrance, BCC, and Hoyt Reading Plaza
• Conversation Language Groups and a new Foreign Language Collection- 2018
• Kunkel Creation Station – John Crain Kunkel Family Foundation donated $25,000 to create the KCS, additional funding from Stabler Foundation; grand opening of KCS on June 8, 2018
• Covid 19 Response and Opening - June 2020
• Grandon StoryWalk® - Opened July 2020; first permanent StoryWalk® in Cumberland County
• July 2020; first permanent StoryWalk® in Cumberland County
• AND...Thousands of diverse and inclusive programs for all ages
While this list seems extensive, we may be missing some! All of us at Fredricksen are grateful for Bonnie’s leadership and vision and for making Fredricksen what it is today. We will miss her!