If you enjoy helping people, especially children, you’re our kind of person! As a children’s assistant at the Cleve J.Fredricksen Library, you’ll be an important part of a hard-working, fun-loving team.
We pride ourselves on extreme customer service. This includes answering reference questions, sharing recommendations and developing engaging programs for kids. Join our team as we create a community at Fredricksen Library!
- Assists customers and staff by analyzing inquiries, answering questions, identifying informational sources, recommending materials and instructing use of resources but refers to librarian if unable to locate information
- Develops internal and external story time and programming ideas and submits to children’s services manager for approval
- Prepares, writes program announcements, presents and evaluates story times and programming
- Develops and implements ideas for displays, exhibits, bulletin boards and book lists; assists in preparing signage
- Assists patrons and staff with all library equipment
- Assists collection development by analyzing the current collection, assessing the needs, selecting, and purchasing materials in identified collection areas
- Serves as librarian-in-charge in the absence of the children’s services manager; responsibilities may include but are not limited to opening and closing activities, resolving customer complaints, overseeing circulation functions and directing patrons and staff in emergency situations
- Supervises children’s pages and volunteers in the absence of the children’s services manager
- Reads professional literature and maintains current knowledge of children’s reference materials and search tools
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the supervisor’s discretion
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree, experience with children and excellent verbal and written skills.
Wednesdays - 9am to 5pm, Thursdays – 1pm to 9pm, Fridays – 9am to 5pm and every 4th Sunday - 1pm to 5pm
Ability to substitute preferred
Pay Rate: $9.14 to $9.32 per hour
How to Apply
Application information is available at the Fredricksen reference desk, East Pennsboro circulation desk or at the top of our Employment web page. Library employees are required to meet criteria of three required background checks.
Children's Assistant Job Description (PDF, 13KB, 2 pages)
Closing date: 4/12/2019