The Bosler Memorial Library in Carlisle, PA, seeks a Youth Services Specialist. This position assists in the planning, implementation, and assessment of collections, programs, and services to children of all ages and their parent/caregiver both in the library and through outreach.
This is a full-time, 37.5 hours per week position to include day, evening and weekend hours. The starting salary for this position is $15.08 per hour. This position is non-exempt status.
While the stated required and preferred education and experience are ideal, the Library recognizes that every person has a unique set of educational and experience skillsets. The Library will, at its discretion, consider each candidate and select the candidate it feels is best suited for the position regardless of whether the candidate meets the following criteria.
- Minimum of an Associate degree in early childhood education or related field OR at least 3 years of active experience in an education or early childhood environment.
Work demands light to moderate physical effort in handling of materials, boxes, carts, or equipment. Ability to lift and carry items weighing as much as 25 lbs. unassisted, and more with assistance, required. Must be able to bend, lift, push, and pull. Work may require extended periods of standing or sitting.
- Valid state driver's license and proof of insurance
- A criminal background check, child abuse clearance and FBI fingerprinting
- Adaptability: Remains calm in difficult, ambiguous, and challenging situations. Adapts accordingly and takes corrective action when required.
- Communications: Writes and speaks clearly, logically, and concisely. Listens effectively. Demonstrates small and large group communication skills.
- Customer Service: Demonstrates ability to determine customer needs and is welcoming, helpful, and professional.
- Decision Making: Uses sound judgment in making decisions, managing conflict, and working with others. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor or administration.
- Interpersonal Skills: Works with others in supportive and cooperative ways.
- Leadership: Practices and models high performance standards and empowers others to do the same.
- Professional Development: Actively seeks out, and participates in, staff development activities and continuing education.
- Promotion: Proactively promotes library collections, programs, and services to the public through knowledge of the Library’s print and online resources.
- Standards and Ethics: Supports the mission and vision of the Library. Applies library policies and practices as determined by the Bosler Memorial Library’s Board of Directors. Protects and values patron confidentiality and organizational security.
- Technological Skills: Demonstrates ability to use a range of technologies and their common operating systems and software programs.
- Time Management: Manages time and workflow effectively.
- Workplace Environment: Maintains facility organization and cleanliness. Maintains and manages workplace safety and security.
- Develops, implements and evaluates a wide variety of programs for children of all ages including storytimes, STEM and STEAM programming, art and music programming, financial literacy programming, history programming, health and wellness programming, SummerQuest programming, and special programming for children and their caregivers using outside resources that incorporate best practices in learning and development.
- Provides tours and visits for children and their caregivers.
- Interacts with children, their caregivers, and other professionals who work with children to maintain an educational, fun, and safe environment.
- Provides assistance in locating appropriate materials; instruction in the use of automated catalogs, website, and self-checkout; and provides appropriate referrals to other staff or community specialists when necessary.
- Assists in collection management of the Youth Services collection including selection of materials, ordering, evaluation, and weeding.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of Youth Services displays.
- Assists in the planning, organizing, and coordination of the priorities and workflows, related to the Youth Services Department.
- Participates in special projects as needed or requested by the Youth Services Coordinator, including shelving and routine collection maintenance activities.
- Assists in maintaining the physical appearance of the facility and order of collections through cleaning and sanitizing, general straightening, shelving, shelf-reading, and organizing toys and manipulative, as well as upkeep of displays.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 403(b) with Employer Match
- Paid Holidays
- Educational Assistance Available
- Staff Parking
Primarily works indoors. May travel among library and community venues. Provides own transportation and is reimbursed accordingly.
In order for your application to be considered, please submit ALL of the following items by May 23, 2022 to:
Bosler Memorial Library
158 W. High Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Youth Services Specialist" in the subject line.
- Cover letter
- Three (3) references (professional references preferred)