The Bosler Memorial Library in Carlisle, PA, seeks an Information Services Assistant. This position assists Information Services Specialists in the general operation of the Information Services Department, answers basic directional and informational questions, assists in shelf maintenance, and performs general clerical duties. This is a part-time, 20 hours per week position to include day, evening and weekend hours. The starting salary for this position is $10.25 per hour. This position is non-exempt status. This position is eligible for some benefits.
Education/Training: Associates Degree or equivalent experience
Experience: Familiarity with computers and common operating systems and programs
Required: State driver's license or state issued photo identification, excellent customer service and communication skills, ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, to place materials on high and low shelves. A criminal background check, child abuse clearance and FBI fingerprinting is required for this position.
Communications: Writes and speaks clearly, logically and concisely. Listens effectively. Demonstrates small and large group communication skills. Keeps colleagues, team members and supervisors well informed. Participates in group discussions.
Customer Service: Presents welcoming behaviors. Remains helpful and professional with customers. Responds quickly and cooperatively to requests from staff or public. Follows Bosler Memorial Library guidelines and training for customer service approach. Demonstrates ability to determine customer needs. Follows up on customer transactions.
Analytical Skills/Problem Solving/Decision Making: Uses sound judgment in making decisions. Constructively manages conflict. Works with others to solve problems and achieve results.
Technological Skills: Demonstrates ability to use computers. Demonstrates ability to access and use the Internet and electronic databases. Demonstrates ability to use and maintain equipment basic to job.
Workplace Maintenance/Management: Maintains and manages workplace security and safety. Pays attention to personal workspace housekeeping.
Flexibility and Adaptability: Remains calm in difficult, ambiguous, and challenging situations. Responds appropriately to changes in direction and priorities. Adapts personal style to work situations. Takes corrective action when required.
Interpersonal and Group Relationships: Willing to work with and for others. Supports and facilitates cooperation among others.
Professional Standards and Ethics: Protects and values patron confidentiality and organizational security. Supports mission and vision of the library. Upholds ALA's Library Code of Ethics as interpreted by Bosler Memorial Library. Works toward furthering a library-conscious community.
Professional Development and Leadership: Seeks opportunities to pursue one's personal goals and those of the organization. Sets and models high performance standards. Encourages others to make good decisions and take ownership in decision-making and problem-solving.
Time and Workflow Management: Manages personal time effectively. Manages workflow effectively.
Primarily works indoors. May travel among library and community venues. Provides own transportation and is reimbursed accordingly.
- Assists patrons and staff by accurately answering directional and basic informational questions in person, and by telephone. This includes Information Services desk duty. Knows when it is appropriate to refer questions to an Information Services Specialist.
- Perform all daily tasks related to the operation of Information Services, including but not limited to performing opening and closing procedures, monitoring and addressing patron behaviors, and maintaining the appearance of the Information Services areas.
- Assists patrons with the basic use of library online catalog, internet and other computer resources, including signing in at the reservation station, logging on, and printing.
- Understands, explains, and enforces the library's policies and procedures, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information.
- Performs all faxing, scanning, and other patron services while on duty.
- Provides clerical duties such as maintaining supplies, filing loose-leaf materials, typing instructional materials and assists with the collection of monthly departmental statistics.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of Information Services collections as directed by the Assistant Director, Information and Youth Services, including the County Law Library, newspapers, reference resources and other collections as deemed appropriate for the department.
- Works on special projects as needed.
- Attends staff meetings and continuing education workshops.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Bosler Memorial Library
Attn: Business Office Assistant
158 W. High Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
Submission deadline is Wednesday, November 20, 2019.
The Bosler Memorial Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.