The Bosler Memorial Library in Carlisle, PA, seeks a Public Services Assistant. This position provides excellent customer service while performing a wide range of circulation and patron related functions. Typical duties include but are not limited to: staffing the circulation desk, checking various library materials in/out, issuing library cards, assessing and adjusting fines and fees, maintaining patron accounts for accuracy and providing direct assistance to patrons. These duties must be successfully undertaken following library procedures and with minimal supervision.
This is a part-time, 20 hours per week position to include day, evening and weekend hours. The starting salary for this position is $10.25 per hour. This position is non-exempt status. This position is eligible for some benefits.
Education/Training: High School Diploma or Equivalent
Experience: Familiarity with computers and common operating systems and programs
Required: Excellent customer service and communication skills, ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, to place materials on high and low shelves. A criminal background check, child abuse clearance and FBI fingerprinting is required for this position. State driver's license or state issued identification card preferred.
Communications: Writes and speaks clearly, logically and concisely. Listens effectively. Demonstrates small and large group communication skills. Keeps colleagues, team members and supervisors well informed. Participates in group discussions.
Customer Service: Presents welcoming behaviors. Remains helpful and professional with customers. Responds quickly and cooperatively to requests from staff or public. Follows Bosler Memorial Library guidelines and training for customer service approach. Demonstrates ability to determine customer needs. Follows up on customer transactions.
Analytical Skills/Problem Solving/Decision Making: Uses sound judgment in making decisions. Constructively manages conflict. Works with others to solve problems and achieve results.
Technological Skills: Demonstrates ability to use computers. Demonstrates ability to access and use the Internet and electronic databases. Demonstrates ability to use and maintain equipment basic to job.
Workplace Maintenance/Management: Maintains and manages workplace security and safety. Pays attention to personal workspace housekeeping.
Flexibility and Adaptability: Remains calm in difficult, ambiguous, and challenging situations. Responds appropriately to changes in direction and priorities. Adapts personal style to work situations. Takes corrective action when required.
Interpersonal and Group Relationships: Willing to work with and for others. Supports and facilitates cooperation among others.
Professional Standards and Ethics: Protects and values patron confidentiality and organizational security. Supports mission and vision of the library. Upholds ALA's Library Code of Ethics as interpreted by Bosler Memorial Library. Works toward furthering a library-conscious community.
Professional Development and Leadership: Seeks opportunities to pursue one's personal goals and those of the organization. Sets and models high performance standards. Encourages others to make good decisions and take ownership in decision-making and problem-solving.
Time and Workflow Management: Manages personal time effectively. Manages workflow effectively.
Primarily works indoors. May travel among library and community venues. Provides own transportation and is reimbursed accordingly.
- Provides excellent and consistent customer service experience for all users through accurate and efficient check-in and check-out services.
- Provides excellent and consistent customer service experience for all users of the library by providing assistance in the use of automated catalogs, website, self-checkout, location of collections, and appropriate referrals to other staff specialists when necessary.
- Registers patrons for library cards and updates borrower records, explaining basic policies, and procedures.
- Assists in the promotion of library programs, services, and collections.
- Accurately assesses fines and fees for late returns, damaged items, lost materials, and other related situations. Accurately records transactions, makes changes, and issues receipts.
- Answers phone inquiries, routes calls to appropriate staff, and takes clear and accurate messages.
- Receives and discharges items returned. Inspects items for damage, follows through with lost and damaged materials processes when appropriate. Routes items as received by the library through interlibrary loan and other means.
- Processes reserve requests.
- Empties book drops on a regular basis and transfers materials accordingly.
- Assists in maintaining the physical appearance of facility and order of collections through straightening, shelving, shelf-reading, weeding, and upkeep of displays.
- Assists in searching for holds, claims returned, lost, long-overdue, and other items as needed.
- Performs opening and closing procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Bosler Memorial Library
Attn: Business Office Assistant
158 W. High Street
Carlisle, PA 17013
Submission deadline is Tuesday, November 12, 2019.
The Bosler Memorial Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.