- HeritageQuest Database - Service Ends July 31, 2015 - Research your genealogy through local and family histories, census data, and other documents.
- MyHeritage Database - Coming Soon - Research your genealogy through local and family histories, census data, and other documents.
- - Features full text for more than 1,620 reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books from leading history publishers. Includes full text for more than 150 leading history periodicals, contains nearly 57,000 historical documents; more than 77,000 biographies of historical figures; more than 113,000 historical photos and maps; and more than 80 hours of historical video.
- - The collection includes Cumberland County historical records, manuscripts and rare books, Pennsylvania records, Federal records, newspapers and periodicals, as well as genealogy records.
- Shippensburg Historical Society - The society's collection holds archives, deeds, maps, photographs and artifacts of local interest.
- FamilySearch Centers are run by the Church of Latter Day Saints and for a fee you can access the Mormon church's vast collection of genealogical records. There are four centers in central Pennsylvania.
- Carlisle Family History Center, 216 Skyline Drive, Silver Spring Twp, 717-796-6085
- Harrisburg/Hershey Family History Center, 2788 Union Deposit Road, Susquehanna Twp, 717-545-3021
- Lancaster Family History Center, 1210 E. King Street, Lancaster 717-295-1719
- York Family History Center, 2100 Hollywood Drive, York, 717-846-4539
- - Concentrating mostly on Pennsylvania and the surrounding states, the society maintains research materials such as wills, deeds, census and tax lists, church registers, funeral and cemetary records and even family Bible records.
- Historical Society of PA - A center for learning and exploring the origins and diversity of Pennsylvania and the United States.
- PA State Library - The Genealogy and Local History Collection consists of a wide variety of indexes, genealogies, state and county histories, atlases, land warranty maps, ship lists, and compilations of church and cemetery records, as well as the Pennsylvania Federal Census records on microfilm.
- PA State Archives - The state archives collects, preserves and makes available for study the public records of the Commonwealth.
- ARIAS (PA Digital State Archives) - Records currently online or in the process of being digitized include service medal application files from World War I and veteran's records from military campaigns as far back as 1775
- PAGenWeb Cumberland County - Part of the USGenWeb Project site that deals specifically with Cumberland County
- Vital Records Information for Pennsylvania - This site contains information on how and where to obtain vital records at the state and county levels. It also includes a link to other states.
Other Helpful Resources
- - A comprehensive, categorized & cross-referenced list of links that point you to genealogical research sites online.
- - FamilySearch is the largest genealogy organization in the world. Millions of people use FamilySearch records, resources, and services to learn more about their family history. For over 100 years, FamilySearch has been actively gathering, preserving, and sharing genealogical records worldwide.
- USGenWeb Project - A large group of volunteers working together to provide free genealogy websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States.
- NARA (National Archives) - FAQs, hints, and links for accessing historical and census data from the National Archives. Also links for accessing individual military records and military unit histories.