As a federated library system, the county library system's administrative office along with each local library adopts an annual budget each year. All system office and local library income and expenditures are audited annually by certified public accountants. This information is reviewed by the Pennsylvania Department Education, Commonwealth Libraries.
2013 Library System Revenue
In 2013, overall revenue declined 3% or $192,475 from 2012. It totaled totaled $5,765,100 and was comprised of:
• 56% County Support ($3,232,984)
• 18% State Support ($1,039,331)
• 25% Community Support ($1,417,469)
• 1% Local Borough, Township and School District Support ($63,013)
• <1% Federal Support ($12,303)
2013 Library System Expenditures
In 2010, overall expenditures totaled $6,112,581. These expenditures were comprised of
• 62% Staff Costs ($3,773,930)
• 25% Operating Costs such as technology, utilities, insurance, printing, etc. ($1,458,339)
• 13% Library Collection Costs ($805,717)
Expenditures increased $391,475 or 6% from the prior year. This was primarily due to one-time expenditures for new integrated library system software, new building expenses at Bosler Memorial Library and capital campaign-related expenditures at Shippensburg Public Library. To balance the deficit budget, about $571,000 was transferred from reserve funds.